Friday, November 20, 2009

The Markan copycat- Me! Deinde's relaunch and revitalization

Mark Goodacre has been a doing a great blog series on NTGateway's past, present, and future. The posts coincide with a presentation he is giving (or has already given) at SBL. I thought to myself, why not be a copycat? So this is first in a series of posts on Deinde. This first post is on ....

ROOTS
Although I'm traditionally known as the deinde guy now, those who have always followed us know that it was in fact Paul Nikkel who started the deinde website (go ahead and look back at the early days on archive.org's wayback machine). Deinde's lifeblood continues to rely on Paul Nikkel as he hosts deinde on his server. Deinde began as a site based primarily on php forums- Paul early on recognized the increasing value of community sites AND blogging. The original deinde also had its own web search (based on php digg) - the prototype of deinde's current web search.

When deinde began, it was Paul who did the majority of the blogging. I remember when Paul first asked me to consider helping out with deinde I almost said no- what a mistake that would have been! You see, although deinde is not the most prolific and frequently updated blogs, we are in fact one of the oldest- we're talking only a handful of biblical studies blogs when we first came on the scene. What I initially thought may be a detraction to my studies quickly gave me an outlet for research and discussion online and actually boosted my profile quite a bit- which was pretty cool! My first time going to SBL as a nervous student, people were recognizing my name and saying they read and enjoyed deinde! It felt great to be just a lowly student and actually feel like I was contributing to the guild. Publishers started occasionally sending me books, another indication that deinde was being read rather widely.

The next post will be on morphs and expansions, stay tuned!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home