Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The deindesaur blog

I've been away from my blog for a long time, for which I apologize (if anyone is still reading!) But I'm hoping to bring back blogging with a little more regularlity. I'll start with making some comments on SBL - since this seems to be the biblioblogger script that we are all to follow!

Highlights:
- buying some great books. I can't wait to get into Michael Licona's resurrection book
- I ended up having two great conversations at IBR. The first was with Michael Licona, the second was with Darrell Bock and Craig Keener.
- I had a great steak dinner with my vater Mike Bird.
- Kregel advertised my Greek Songs. I'll post more on this once they are actually for sale online.
- Having a room to myself. My semester is so busy that SBL becomes some great downtime for this introvert.
- Heard some good papers in the Matthew section and historical Jesus section.
- sitting on the NAPH panel discussing 2 new grammars. I enjoyed this even more than I thought I would. It is great to know that SBL isn't just about the latest cutting edge ideas, but helping each other to teach better too!


Probably my best buy this year is Stan Porter's brand new "Inking the Deal: A Guide for Successful Academic Publishing". (Amazon.com or Amazon.ca) I've been waiting for a book like this to come out and I don't consider it an exaggeration to say that EVERY PhD student should read this (and MA's going in to PhD programs too). Thank you Stan for writing this book! I devoured the whole thing, and will be recommending it to anyone I come across! And I'm taking its advice right away - I intend to turn my panel participation into a book review :-)

More regular posting to come folks! In the meantime, take my advice and by Porter's book (links are above).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home